CFA Members & Friends,
What a great feeling we all had after that huge victory over Princeton on national television! There are more moments like that to come this season! Building a program takes time, and never goes as fast as any of us would like, but the fact is we are making huge progress. Our 2017 football team competed for The Ivy League Championship all the way until the last week of the season. As my great friend, and two-time Super Bowl Champion, Kevin Boothe reminded me, this year was the first meaningful week 9 game for Cornell Football in 17 years! With over half of our starters coming back and a terrific group of young players ready to step up, our program is here, and we will compete for a championship again in 2018!
Over the next several months you will again begin to hear regular updates from me and our players about our program. Your gifts and support during the past 5 years have been a huge part of helping us get to this point!
I will leave you with a list of accomplishments from this past season. Thank you again for all your support of our players and program!
- Best Start in Ivy League Play (3-1) since 2000.
- Tied for 1st Place in Ivy League (with 3 games to go) for first time since 2000.
- Posted 1st win vs. Harvard since 2005.
- Posted 1st win vs. Brown since 2007.
- Recorded wins vs. Harvard, Brown, and Princeton in the same year for 1st time since 1999.
- Recorded 1st 3 Game Win Streak in Ivy League Play since 2005.
- Best Defensive Performance vs. Colgate (270 Yards Allowed) since 2007.
- Defense limited Harvard to 223 yards of offense its fewest in a game since 2010; while also running for a season-best 233 yards the most yards allowed on the ground by the Crimson since 2011.
- Defense allowed fewest total yards in a single game (161 Yards vs. Brown) since 2005.
- Defense allowed its fewest total yards in a four-game stretch in more than a decade (1,445 total yards or 289 yards/game).
- 24 Sacks this season (The most by a Cornell Defense since 2000).
- #1 Pass Defense in the Ivy League/31st in the FCS (189 Yards Allowed per game).
- Best Pass Defense at Cornell since 2010, 2nd in Ivy League at 191.1 yards/game.
- 4th in Ivy League in Rushing Offense (In League Games) at 162.9 yards/game.
- Best average (in Ivy Games) in the past 11 years.
- 1st Team All-Ivy DB-Nick Gesualdi was a repeat unanimous selection on the first team, becoming the first Cornell defensive player to be placed on the first team in consecutive years since Chris Zingo 94 in 1992 and 1993.
- 3 Student-Athletes named CoSIDA Academic All-District: RB-Jack Gellatly (Captain), LB-Kurt Frimel (Captain), and DL-Seth Hope.
- 2017 1st Team CoSIDA Academic All-America: DL-Seth Hope.
- He becomes the fifth Big Red football player to twice be honored as a two-time Academic All-American after earning second team honors last year.
- Hope is also the eighth Cornellian to earn first-team honors and the first since Luke Siwula 07 in 2006. An Applied Economics and Management major, Hope sports a 3.84 grade point average in one of the most rigorous business programs in the country through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the SC Johnson College of Business.
David J. Archer ’05
The Roger J. Weiss ’61
Head Coach of Football